Monday, April 25, 2005

Prologue

I wrote this for another place. But it seems rather apt in the general scheme of things, so it should be here too.

This is a tale of fate, or a fateful tale depending on how you look at it. Don't ask me which, I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

Lionheart was born late in the afternoon of Monday January 19, 2004, somewhere between Milton Keynes and Luton in the middle lane of the southbound M1. A strange place to enter the world, but rather fitting none the less, being roughly equidistant to the place I was driven away from and the one I was retreating to to lick my wounds.

Part of me was distracted by a rather striking sunset. And part of me was pondering something I wanted to write (but still haven't done properly yet...); a valediction for love destroyed.
And before anyone says it...
I know...
That wasn't the most safe and sane thing to be doing while simultaneously pushing the 80mph boundary in heavy traffic. But right then I was hurting too much to care. And I'd driven that road so many times that I could pretty much do it on auto-pilot anyway.

Then it hit me. No, not the under-run bars on the artic in front (or I wouldn't be here to tell the tale).
Lionheart.
Whose incarnation owed everything to a shape-shifting wicked witch with more identities than it was possible to count.

But why that name???
Why not "DozyDom"? Or "ThroughALensDarkly" in homage to my photography? Or "WalkOn" in homage to the great outdoors and the moving sound of the Kop in full voice? Or...

I haven't got a clue. I wanted something that sounded brave and strong at a time when I felt neither. And it just came to me. Out of the blue (or the red sky at night on my right).

CourDeLion (Geddit? And yes, I know it should be CoeurDeLion) as an "alter ego" came later for sites where Lionheart(ed) was already spoken for. And no, CourDeLion wasn't a typo or carelessness. It was a site that only let you have a maximum of 10 characters for your handle, so something had to give.

It has to have been fate.
I didn't consciously choose Lionheart. "He" "found" me.
And were it not for Lionheart there would be no CourDeLion.
And if I hadn't been logged into a site at the same moment as a sub for whom CourDeLion had a certain resonance.
I wouldn't be where I am now.
Such are the fickle fingers of fate.

This rambling inane drivel is dedicated to:
g, for being my muse and making me smile again
and lots of people at lots of munches, for just being you.

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart, and you'll never walk alone...

All together now... ahh isn't that sweet / or pass the sick-bucket Alice / or [insert cliché to suit]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home